Friday, January 23, 2015

Update

I have added a link under my section entitled Sappho 2014/2015: the Backstory & More to an article published today by LiveScience that provides much more detailed information than I have seen about the backstory, largely because the author has been communicating directly with Obbink.

Americans interested in Sappho are going to be appalled to learn (as I just did) that the family that owns Hobby Lobby owns some of the relevant fragments and has not (at least in what it is reported Obbink said) been enthusiastic about helping him in his work on those fragments.  It confirms my suspicions, voiced in what I wrote on this last year, that the involvement of private collectors--rather than academic institutions or governments--in the discovery and preservation of manuscripts such as those on which the Sappho fragments are preserved can be, to say the least, problematic.  I will have more to say on that in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment